Hanging in There
I haven't posted anything since I announced the completion of my radiation treatments, so I figured I should let you know how it's going.
The answer is, "Quite well."
Soon after completing the radiation, my stomach/digestion settled into a normal routine. I'm able to eat a regular diet, though I need to maintain discipline as to portion size. I've gotten into a routine that works for me as to when to take my daily medications. Currently, I don't notice any reaction to the meds I'm on. Thank You, Lord.
One of the almost certain side effects of the antihormone therapy--testosterone being the hormone to which anti--is a loss of strength and muscle mass.
As I've said in past posts, I didn't go into this treatment with very mass-ive muscles anyhow. So soon after I started on antihormone meds and before I started radiation, I began a pretty aggressive exercise routine--not aggressive by Arnold standards, but not bad for an old preacher. This article contains general guidelines for exercise for prostate cancer patients. Other recommendations I've read emphasize the importance of working muscles to exhaustion, or near exhaustian. Thus far judging from the time on my bike ride (my 10-mile route includes several little hills and one three-mile or so incline) and the number of reps on my strength-taining routine, I'm at least holding my own. Some days I think I'm improving. By God's grace, I've only missed one day of my routine since I started back in May. I've also been able to keep up with yardwork and other domestic tasks. For my fellow PCers (those with prostate cancer) I hope this encourages you. We can't avoid the curse--our world is infected by the consequences of sin, Romans 8--but sometimes we can manage it. Even before my cancer diagnosis, I told my boys that my bike-riding goal was to get slower more slowly.I'm very thankful to be doing as well as I am.
Another pastor and I were recently discussing our experiences of hanging out with sick folks and the families thereof. Some of them have very unrealistic expectations of the medical professionals. "Do something! Make me, or my loved one well." I have great respect for the medical professionals with whom my wife and I have been involved. I also am aware of their limitations. I believe that doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are gifts from God to the rest of us. In God's providential care for the world and those of us who live in it, these fine folks are instruments of God's common grace. Like the rain and sunshine, the benefit they provide, extends to a broad swath of humanity. These professionals, however, are not magicians. The benefits that they are able to pass on are most effective when professional, patient, and even family and friends form a team.
Kathy and I are abundantly blessed to have a good team. Thank you.
I hope I can be part of your team.
Comments
Post a Comment