Grinding it Out

Progress Report: After last Friday's treatment, I'm half way through my radiation sessions. I'm experiencing more gastric issues, but overall I'm doing well. I was able to enjoy a wonderful weekend with Kathy, our sons, their wives, and two of our grandchildren.



Mainly worthwhile accomplishments, improvements, and positive life changes take a long time to accomplish. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Currently, I'm personally experiencing what I've seen in the lives of others over my decades of pastoral ministry. "If you want to get to where you want to be, you have to keep on keeping on.

By God's grace I'm doing well. Most days I manage to get more tired than I used to before I started this grind. But, I'm told this is to be expected, and I'm still maintaining an active schedule. My expectation is that when this grind is over, I'll be the better for it. Then, no doubt, there will be something else to deal with.

Probably you don't have cancer, but even more probably you have some other issue, problem, ailment, and or ongoing difficult progress in your life. The Apostle Paul said to his protoge' Timothy, ". . . discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness." (1 Timothy 4:7) Check it out. That word, "discipline," is a word that implies effort--grinding. Other images in the Bible reinforce this concept. For instance the "narrow way" that leads to life is difficult. (Matthew 8:19-22) Salvation is a gift of grace, but living the Christian life takes effort--day after day effort.

But in the end it is worth it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best We Can Do.

2/3s Done