A Significant Milepost
Like many cancer treatment facilities, Carilion Radiation Oncology/Blue Ridge Cancer Care has a bell hanging on the wall. Patients are invited to ring the bell when they complete their treatment regimen. About an hour ago I had my 28th & final radiation treatment. It is a significant sign of progress in my battle with my unseen enemy, prostate cancer (PC), but I'm not done. In previous posts, I'm I've talked about the 24 months of anti hormone meds I'm on. So, I chose not to ring the bell.
It's a small thing, but I figure I need to focus on keeping-on-keeping-on (more in a moment).
While it's painless as it is happening, being shot with what I call the "Klingon Disruptor" is not fun. I'm glad it's over. I hope to meet the Lord without going through another round. However, the team that worked with me, from the radiologist down to the student trainees, made what is an unpleasant process bearable, even more than bearable. They are genuinely nice folks who really care.
While I chose to forgo the bell-ringing, Kathy and I decided to recognize the kind, capable work of this team. Candy, a balloon, and a card are a small gift. I hope, though, that these folks know they are appreciated.
Two things:
Much of life is unpleasant. We can broadcast the unpleasantness or we can be pleasant where and when we can. Lord, help me to choose the later.
One of my teachers, who went to his reward long ago, used to talk about a child who fell out of bed one night. When her parents came to investigate the "thump" in the night, the child's explanation was, "I guess I went to sleep to close to where I got in." Think about that.
Keep on keeping on.
Comments
Post a Comment